Friday 18 September 2009

I've walked this road before

So I think this is it for a while. Its been all I could imagine and more. The only way I can sum it up is with a very long poetic retrospective with a glimmer of hope for the future. I hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think.




I’ve walked this road before
But
Somehow, it seems so much different than before
So many faces, the same streets and same places
And I recognise them, But
Somehow, it’s just. Different from before
So in the only way I know, I just roam the street
To the same tired old rhythm that rolls to an all too familiar beat
Remembering that those were the days
And remembering that those were they ways
And never again will it be the same
And with every melodic slow pounding from the drum, I realise “son”
Things done change
Ya see I dun walked through the valley, and I got lost in the shade of the shadow
And when I was surrounded by the snarling sneering forces, in the dark side quarter
I fell, and I got caught.
And trust me you can’t know how deep man a sink
And how close man just came so close to the brink
When all I could think
Was, there’s no further left to sink
And with one last look over my shoulder not knowing what to think
That’s
When he found me
Just when it felt too deep
And my lack of knowledge on how ta swim, trust, nearly drowned me
That’s
Where he found me
And he said he’d been shouting out for a while, but it was too loud around me
I said, man I’m truly sorry coz I really aint done right
And I tried to stand up but I lost the fight
Made some bad moves and didn’t get things just right
But with a voice that could calm the most savaging storm he said,
It’s alright son
Coz it’s all said and done
And now,
It looks so much different than before
The battles lost, but with a confidence that surpasses rationality and logic and understanding he pointed to a distant light and in the breaking of the dawn
He said It’s all good, the time ‘ll soon come
And all I could do was just sink into to his magnificence, his beautifully, his simple elegance and appreciate all that he is and was and will be to me before my times done,
And in the most appropriate time that has ever been presented itself all I could holla was,
Flippin, nice one bruv
Since then I’ve been lifted
And the walk was tuff sometimes but somehow I knew I would make it
And with endless help I made it
And I stood, on the brink of the mountains
In complete gratitude for the works of his hands in the surroundings
And as I watch the sunset over the most perfect backdrop
And remember where I was,
and now just where my feet are
and I just have to stop
And as I rolled on the path less travelled
To follow his lead and see how far I could follow
To be amazed time after time
And line after line of 1000 rhymes
Can’t even begin
To keep up
And you won’t believe the things I’ve seen, far beyond your wildest dreams
An 8 year old girl searching through the rubbish in a skip till her fingers bleed
To a true solider, who fell in the pressure from the enemy
To a community, and you gota love the irony
That pray nonstop in a house between the town’s hottest night spot and the heroin stop
From the power cuts in the Balkans to the red lights in Amsterdam
Finally
I’m only just starting to learn a bit about who I am
So I can tell you with not word of doubt
Having been with from the land of plenty
to the land where they just do without
I’ve walked this road before
But with all that’s gone down it won’t ever be the same as before
Coz I’m not the same any more
Having known now what I know now having been where I’ve been and found what I’ve found
Having rolled street to the same old sound, having made my way to the lost and found
Right now
I can’t stop moving
I can’t sit down
Because from up here on the mountain,
You can see all the way
Down
To wot lays broken and dormant on the ground
And then comes the sound
“Go down”,
It’s just a whisper at first and it’s hard to make out the words
“Go down”
Just a little louder that at first, just a simple verse
“Go down”
Getting louder still and these feet of mine just can’t keep still
“Go down” “Go Down”
No its hollain at me, the sounds so loud, in words that I can see,
“this is what I’m calling you to be”
the response to call that’s been birthed in me,
the command I can see quite literally
and the voice becoming the whole of me,
and journeys long the end I can’t see,
but the sounds guiding my feet and passions just pulling me,
I want ta be
all I can be
and burning a deep fire right in the depth of me
and still struggling with what it means to give all of me,
starting to realise it means the very soul of me
layed out bare for all to see,
to lay down all my hopes and my so many dreams,
and trusting that he,
is all that I need,
and in the best and the worst he will come through for me,
the shouts still get louder gradually
until all I can think and all I can be and all that consumes the inside of me is
the answer that he’s already planed and put inside of me
“Go down”.
Im on my way
With a fire burning bright from the eyes
Able to see right through the darkest of dark nights
To help eliminate the how’s and the whys
Down, down to the depths we go,
It’s not the simplest route and the path lays dormant and old
And the early silence is one that I know
Down the path, though the thickest forest to the pit I once saw,
But this time
I’m in much clearer position than before,
Just back to the spot where he found me
Maybe you’re loosing or just not fittin in
Maybe your maybe this is the battle that you just can’t win,
Maybe ya struggling but don’t know where to begin
Coz every step that you take pulls you much further in
And there’s nothing you can do so ya just start sinking
But now to the secret, let me let you in,
When it all goes down and the storms raging
And the forces against us tear us up from within
And try to outstand the harshest temptation
When you look into the eyes of the enemy within
Staring straight into the face of satian
And ya felling like it’s a battle and ya just can’t win
And it’s getting dark and just can’t win
And ya sail won’t find the slightest of wind
And now is the time ya feel you can only give in
Then to a secret, let me let you in
I heard a rumour,
That in the end
he win’s
So I walked the valley and i fell many times, I got stuck
And I’ve stood in the presence of greatness and observed it all from the top
I’ve seen the night sky glisten and the and the moon light up the sea,
I’ve come to know the light on the hill top that was put there for me
The one that guides the path and makes things clearer to see
So in accordance with the sound, that rings out so clearly
And in line with the path that’s laid out for me,
I’ve seen the top and it’s amazing to me
But that’s not where you’ll find me
But find me in the valley, in the pits of despair
Find me in the darkness searching with a fixed stare
Now the light that burns bright dwells in the depths of me
Find me in the valley, simply trying to help people ta see

Coz up here is beautiful,
And I love it believe,
but down there, their drowning literally,
right in front of me
And as I walk the same streets, the faces I see, but I can’t help notice how different they seem
It’s like I can hear souls screaming at me
Don’t walk passed this, don’t try and be the fastest
I’m drowning down here in the deepest abyss
Please help me, get me out of this
This is an opportunity it would be criminal ta miss
That’s where he found me
Now that’s where I need to be
So we can help em get up here to see what we’ve seen
Coz up on the top of the mountains a great place to be
But in the valley, with the broken
is where we’re called to be
And not still shouting the same old here I am send me
Coz the challenge was laid down clear for all to see
Plain and blatantly
Now
here I am,
use me.
Mould me shape me
Let the things that break you, begin to break me
And I’m right here and I’m ready so
Now’s the time
The battle fields open
And this soldier...
Is ready.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Steve thats amazing! as i started to read it my mum but her ipod on to prepare for worship at church tomorrow and 'how great is our god' started playing and fitted so well...i think this is one of your best blogs! :) sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me of something....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, I miss you!!!!!

    Absolutely love your sum up. I wish I could express my thoughts and say what I think, but I guess we're different and this is your lot.

    So thanks for being the expression you are and the travelling companion anyone would dream of (well maybe not quite dream).

    Here's to a life of Whatever God says is best. Cheers, Gzooa, prost, salut, skull.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Steve. I like how it guess less chaotic as it goes on. It gets clearer and more stable. Does that make sense? I don't think it does...

    ReplyDelete