Monday 13 September 2010

Let's Eat!!!

About 3 years ago (maybe even more) I walked into a house that called itself ‘a boiler room’ I didn’t really have any idea what that meant other than they prayed. But that wasn’t the draw. They also had free food!!!!!! Yeah bwoy!!!!!

Thus my inauguration into something that has become an integral part of my life. Community meals, house meals, community dinner, eating together, sharing hospitality. I guess you could say I have been around this since young. I remember my parent once making a new year’s resolution to invite someone from the church (someone they didn’t know so well) every month for an entire year. I think they did it.


From those humble beginnings I have shared food, and faith over many a dinner table. From David and Peters collection of organic Christians in Seattle, to the historic site of Herhut Germany with an American worship leader, echo’s of Suzanna’s “You want to do community? Well start by getting a bigger table” echoed in my ears at the ‘scum of the earth’ community meal or in Kosova sharing a simple meal that had taken 4/5 hours to prepare with my friend Erfon (Fonni) with whom I could exchange very little in the way of spoken conversation.

All these experiences have been rich, even this weekend I have enjoyed sharing community dinner with my new family in Colchester. However today’s outing was different. As I sat around the table with 4 guys, 4 guys that have had it ruff, that the world has given up on and would prefer if they were locked up for good, I couldn’t help but feel like they all deserved the best dinner ever. As we shared our ‘best’s’ and ‘worst’s’ of the week. I began to wonder if a simple community meal, as in Jesus’ time, really did communicate something of the Good news of Jesus.

Monday night = community meal night, long may they continue. Long may the gospel of peace grace and forgiveness flow through them. Amen


Just for a little nostalgia
http://squeezeitlikealemon.blogspot.com/2009/09/just-get-bigger-table.html

No comments:

Post a Comment