Tuesday 12 May 2009

The helpless helper

Today I went with Kajmelina and Tina to buy some shopping for a lady in town, her husband has gone away and she has two children. I so wanna be useful here but today the maximum responsibility that I seemed to be able to offer was pushing the trolley around the store and paying for a taxi. We took the shopping into town, it was market day, and the streets were alive with people as the market sellers sold all kinds of fruit and veg out of cardboard boxes, milk crates and some just off the floor. Apparently people come from all over, even Albania to buy here as it’s a lot cheaper. We get to this apartment block and I felt, suddenly like I was in the call of duty modern warfare game. You the bit with the snipers, where their in Russia in the height of the conflict and you have to go in and out of abandoned apartment blocks to find this guy. Although the blocks weren’t abandoned the design and the condition was similar. We meet this lady and her lovely two boys, again the extent of my helping was to drink a coffee and ask a few questions.
On the positive side, I can’t help be feel like I’m travelling with Robin Hood and his merry men (women) robbing from the rich, over consumerised and money hungry west and giving to the poor, helping the distribution of finances stretch around the world. It so great to see and so humbling to be a part of.
After we had prayed we went to Tina’s house for drinks, such is the thing to do in Kosova, she lives just around the corner to me. In the house lives Tina and littler David (who’s quite big) a brother, I think and his wife then a sister who was there to visit with her baby too. It was really nice, getting to know people in broken English and Albanian. We had the old classic ‘’ how old are you’’ ‘’na, I thought you were like 15’’. Seems the appearance of youth will hound me around the world. Ah well could be worse. I have also discovered a lot of words in Kosova are different than in Albanian, as if it needed to be any harder! Either way, today made me realise the importance of language so this afternoon I’m gonna hit the books. Well, after I have some lunch, and maybe read a bit of this other book, then maybe pray. I’m sure I’ll have time.

Tonight we will meet up with Paul and Angela from the smile centre, it will be wonderful to speak to some people in complete English. Unless of course they have learned the language properly then I’ll feel a bit silly.

Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment