Sunday 31 May 2009

The water melon and the mattress (and how they relate to the philosophy of life)

Ok, so this entire post is about a completely made up conversation of what might of happened if I understood Albanian and knew the people involved. I found it amusing so wrote it down. Feel free not to read this. However if you have literally nothing to do with your time feel free to read on and be hopefully amused by my imagination
So was on the way to a rondevu, rocking some sunglasses and looking dapper (I can say that coz by now you have all probably forgot completely what i actually look like) When I came across two men having a conversation by the side of the road.
Of course I had no idea what was being said, however the scean was somewhat odd. One man was standing on the pavement with a mattress (mattresses hear are smaller and thinner and made of form) It was folded in half and had an extremely large water melon on it, thus keeping it folded neatly, the other man was stood on the road looking somewhat puzzled by what he witnessed before him. They were exchanging words and as I passed by I imaged what on earth they may have been disusing and it actually made me laugh to myself in the street.

I think it went a bit like this
Man 1 ‘’So, I’ve got this water melon here, and you see how the precise weight and size holds this mattress of mine folded perfectly in half, leaving my hands fee to motion and gesture to you as I speak’’
Man 2 ‘’ Mmmm, I see how that’s working for you however, aren’t you missing the point slightly?. The water melon is ripe for eating, is it not? and is made for consumption, really you should lift it from the mattress and enjoy the juicy nourishing goodness it would provide’’
Man 1 ‘’ I agree the melon has been produced for the purpose of consumption and enjoyment of its owner however’’, he says while lifting the said water melon just enuff to show his point. ‘’If I lift the melon in question, even just slightly, my mattress will then, not be folded neatly as it is now before you. How would I then keep it folded in the same way. The melon is the perfect object to hold it in place’’
Man 2 seemingly un-fazed by the question why he would need a mattress to be folded by the side of the road continues ‘’I appreciate the point, and you portray it extremely well, however I think you are sadly missing the point of the water melon’’
Man 1 scratched his head now somewhat bemused by man 2’s inability to understand his logic. ‘’ What then would you suggest? how can we solve the issue in hand, it certainly is a conundrum to us both’’
A third man appears ‘’c’kemi (alright)’’ ‘’may I offer some advice?’’ ‘’Please do both men motion. Man 3 says I see the points from both sides and also notice the juxtaposition on life that is presented in this road side debate. Both are opinions are valid, will you use the item for its created purpose of will or indeed use it for what it was not created for to satisfy you need to resolve your issue?
All three men stand back and look blankly at the neatly folded mattress with the ripe water melon shining in the late afternoon sun
Man 3, after a long pause for dramatic effect, offers an incite ‘’I guess the question is this, will chose one of the two ways in front of you, or maybe, will you choose a higher way, the true way, the simple way. In segmenting the melon slowly you will be able to enjoy the natural nourishment that is intended on offer and slowly will be able to judge the amount required to hold the mattress in place, thus being able to receive both benefits in one while easing the decision and how this situation will play out. This involves thinking outside of the possibilities two a third option, perhaps some may say, A different perspective?

By this time I’m far gone and of course (as this is fictional) I never got to find out which decision was eventually taken. However one thing is sure and should not be forgotten.

But by this time my mind had wondered to the next random thought, seemingly interesting at the time, so in fact Idid forget.

5 comments:

  1. you are so strange, but indeed you imagination did make me smile hehe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think Stevie, that you should offer out, to us who look on, the option of offering a solution to this problem.

    I believe there is some merit in 'squeezing it like a melon .....'

    Any initial thoughts out there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well just to spiritualize it a bit, is that not what we sometimes do with the Bible?
    Do we use it for it's intended purpose, or just to meet our immediate need?
    Hmmmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it ws just about a watermelon and a matress................

    ReplyDelete
  5. reminded me of the evening with the glove puppets! great story

    ReplyDelete