Tuesday 12 May 2009

Into the groove

So today sees the start of some kind of normality. But before all that, the challenges of talking. Today IPKO came to put in the internet (good times) I don’t really understand Albanian (bad times) so Tina and lina came to help, also we were going out after so all the folks who were coming turned up (9 in total) 2 IPKO men and tina’s brother came to help. So I had my little house full for the first time and didn’t have a clue wot was going on.
It’s hard to find the steve shaped whole in kosova so far, I offered drinks to people while they were hear and one of the girls, quite nicely offered to help and basically did it all for me, it was really nice but it seems that even quite servant hood hear is already covered so it’s hard to know where to fit ( but you know it’s only been a little while)
I drove today. Woohoo, well after this guy had to jump start the car coz I left the lights on all night. OOpps. They seemed to do it all the time though so I didn’t feel so bad (until I did it again on the next trip out) ooppss. You have to drive everywhere with your lights on? Even in the day. Who knew?
Today also took me back to the kosova i love, into a village, doing a little kids group thing. It’s weird, even thow you can’t talk to them properly and don’t have loads of responsibility in the session, there something about being in those desperately poor villages and seeing the kids so happy to see people that just care about them and are there just for them, it’s an amazing experience.
Strange thing happened, when the kids were trying to speak to me, I thought for a sec that I could speak the language. This kid bust out a full sentence and I answered. By the way he looked at me it was clear I hadn’t said anything that made any sense, but in that moment I thought for a sec Id cracked it. Unfortunately, hard work, study and practice are the tools of learning a language. Not just adding an o or an a on the end of a word and saying it with and accent. Oh well, felt good for a mo.
Had drinks with the team after. Its brilliant, most of these guys don’t have jobs or incomes yet they turn up at the church most days, armed with parachutes, balls (in both senses) bible memory verses and kids songs and they just share Jesus in any way they know how. Sometimes we come here to help out, but maybe we could take a few lessons on getting out into the community from this little bunch of underpaid, overworked mismatched missionaries. They just go to the poor villages, teach the children, give out wot aid they have to the poor, visit families, pray and be present. Sounds like a good idea to me. Where’s your nearest gypsy village? I spoke to Ben freeman before I went. After a conversation with sally about organic church, I was thinking about the worst places around and where we could go and be and meet God (iv just been reading that chapter in read moon rising about going out to meet the holy spirit) and Ben said (as a policeman) the worst places bar none are the gypsy camps. Even the police don’t go there.
Wot do you recon people?

More of the same I think tomorrow. I’ll let you know when I find the whole.

2 comments:

  1. Servanthood is never 'covered', 'cos it's an attitude of heart. It's about who you are and the witness you give. It's never pointless just because the need isn't really there, and it's never futile just because the need is too great to make a dent in. So go for it, my servant friend. C'mon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel though. Where is my niche? How do I make a difference or even any kind of contribution here? Parliament is busy imploding with scandal this week, and I'm gonna be... praying there this afternoon with a bunch of blue rinse ladies who might as well be Albanian for all the real communication we manage to achieve. But prayer matters, so I have to keep making it a priority (in fact it's about all I can do right now). I love kelly Greene's vid (http://www.24-7prayer.com/data/24-7prayer/scripts/shorts_video.php?short=prayer-as-justice). 15 months, nothing but prayer, couldn't even get in through the door, going crazy. But if she had have been hit by a bus the day before she first walked in after those 15 months, the time wouldn't have been wasted. Not one moment of it. In fact, the real work was probably done by then. If you do nothing but pray for 3 months, you will have made a bigger investment in the place that the World Bank will ever manage. But I suspect that in fact it'll only be the beginning... Love you man, P

    ReplyDelete