Sunday 24 May 2009

Yeah, that wot I though you just said.

So it’s Saturday, so it Barum Curri. I got to drive there and back (except across the border, apparently there’s some little discrepancy with papers or something) So it’s amazing, driving in the shadow of the ‘Albanian Alps’ just appreciating God and his creation, of course mixed with the gun out post’s, relics of communist rule. Faton says, ‘Its good for you to share tomorrow at church’’ Ay, mmm Yeah, that wot I thought you just said. Tragically I’m not a well seasoned preacher with a back catalogue to search through. Bearing in mind we’re just off to Albanian, it’s like 12 midday and after this we’re in Gjakova at another kids program thingy. Rest assured I took the opportunity. So we did the barum curri thing. Not so many this week as last week was cancelled. Some of the kids seemed to take a liking to trying to teach me some Albanian and laughing when I got it wrong, I have a bit of a bad feeling what they were teaching me wasn’t good words to be recited. I also think I managed to promise to find one boy and English wife. I’m not sure how I get into these situations but I just seem to say Po (yes) to everything, regardless of weather I know wot is being asked. No change there then

On a slightly serious note we meet this guy in the road (literally) can’t have been more than 16/17 he’s like the local crazy kid, he had no shoes on, a t-shirt on backwards and some old shorts. He had that look in his eyes that makes you wish you maybe hadn’t made eye contact. Faton explained his family are very poor; he has 3 (I think brothers) all with learning difficulties or psychological problems. At one point when he was getting a bit excited some guy came over called him across, they had a few stern words and the guys gave him a belt round the head. As much as this little fella was a bit scary I dread to think wot happens to him when people aren’t around if that happens literally on the street.

We also visited Martina’s flat, she was just on her way back from hospital in Montenegro (I think) as she had some issues with her dualities. I don’t think I’ll ever stop being amazed after meeting amazing bright talented people sold out for God. Then seeing their humble, basic surroundings and the places they live their lives. It’s a lesson to all in humility and in our own journeys of faith and so call necessities of live. Five people hear live in 3 rooms. One of them is a bathroom!

So Gypsy Street, to catch the end of the children’s work. It seems to be the hardest crowd, and the kosovan way of dealing with crowd control is always an interesting one, but I love it there. Really praying that something more can happen there.

Then to preparation, by now its like 7.30 and a bit of diner and sorting myself out it’s like 8.30 bit of prayer it’s like 9 and I’ve got nothing to share yet. Oh well better leave it in God’s hands.
So there’s little me, treading the hallowed grounds of victory church, Gjakova. Where such speaking legends as Russell Godward, John Peters, Eddie Gjoni, Graham Blake and Faton Berisha have stood many a time before. Under the flourishing grape vines just out of the unrelenting sun. And I share.
Based on some words of incredible wisdom and inspiration that a good friend gave to me before I left I talked about what I have seen in Kosova and in the people over the past few weeks, but more importantly What God sees in them, How he loves them unconditionally, how he longs for relationship with them. How God sees the potential in people not looking with natural eyes but seeing the heart (the David story) And also how we can’t do it alone so God sent his spirit to help. Then wot we do, pray, cultivate relationship, receive the Holy Spirit, over and over. Then not to keep this all for ourselves coz when the Holy Spirit comes you will have power to be my whiteness...............etc. That’s right ay big rus, intro points and a challenge. Good times, Thanks God

1 comment:

  1. Great Stevie,
    say what's on your heart - usually God's in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete